[R] Discriminant function analysis

Birgit Lemcke birgit.lemcke at systbot.uzh.ch
Thu Feb 7 12:04:29 CET 2008

Am 06.02.2008 um 21:00 schrieb Tyler Smith:

> On 2008-02-06, Birgit Lemcke <birgit.lemcke at systbot.uzh.ch> wrote:
>>
>> I am using R 2.6.1 on a PowerBook G4.
>> I would like to perform a discriminant function analysis. I found lda
>> in MASS but as far as I understood, is it only working with
>> explanatory variables of the class factor.
>
> I think you are mistaken. If you reread the help for lda() you'll see
> that the grouping has to be a factor, but the explanatory variables
> should be numeric.

oh yeah your completely right. It seems that I had some tomatoes on
my eyes.

>> My dataset contains variables of the classes factor and numeric. Is
>> there another function that is able to handle this?
>
> The numeric variables are fine. The factor variables may have to be
> recoded into dummy binary variables, I'm not sure if lda() will deal
> with them properly otherwise.

But aren´t binary variables also factors? Or is there another
variable class than factor or numeric?
Do I have have to set the classe of the binaries as numeric?

Thanks for your help

Birgit

> HTH,
>
> Tyler

> guide.html

Birgit Lemcke
Institut für Systematische Botanik
Zollikerstrasse 107
CH-8008 Zürich
Switzerland
Ph: +41 (0)44 634 8351
birgit.lemcke at systbot.uzh.ch

175 Jahre UZH
«staunen.erleben.begreifen. Naturwissenschaft zum Anfassen.»
MNF-Jubiläumsevent für gross und klein.
19. April 2008, 10.00 Uhr bis 02.00 Uhr
Campus Irchel, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zürich
Weitere Informationen www.175jahre.uzh.ch