[R] correlation

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 8 17:37:42 CET 2008

darteta001 at ikasle.ehu.es wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I would like to compare two measurements of disease severity (M1 and
> M2), one of the is continuous (M1 ranging from 1 to 10) and the other
> is ordinal (M2 takes Low, Medium, high and very high). Do you think is
> ok to use cor() function to test whether the two agree, i.e correlate?
> I am afraid that if I set M2 to 1,2,3 and 4, the function cor() will
> take them as continuous and therefore lose intrepretation.
>
> Thanks for your commments

It's probably not massively wrong, given that the interpretation of
correlation coefficients is usually not very clear anyway (excepting
maybe nearly-perfect correlated cases). However, a Spearman correlation
does have the rather nice feature of being independent of the values you
assign to M2, and of any monotone transformation of M1 too.