[R] Error in optim while using fitdistr() function for estimationof parameters

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sun Feb 10 08:13:04 CET 2008

Chenge your model, most likely.

You are telling us a) the response is discrete and b) there is a
substantial probability that the value is zero.  The gamma distributon
is a model for a continuous response, your response is integer valued.
Perhaps you should consider something the Poisson or Negative Binomial.

Evem from the little you give us, the problem seems more statistical
than computational to me.

Bill Venables
CSIRO Laboratories
PO Box 120, Cleveland, 4163
AUSTRALIA
Office Phone (email preferred): +61 7 3826 7251
Fax (if absolutely necessary):  +61 7 3826 7304
Mobile:                         +61 4 8819 4402
Home Phone:                     +61 7 3286 7700
mailto:Bill.Venables at csiro.au
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/