[R] Do I need to use dropterm()??

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Feb 11 00:55:56 CET 2008

dropterm() is a tool for model building, not primarily for significance
testing.

As the name suggests, it tells you what the effect would be were you to
"drop" each *accessible* "term" in the model as it currently stands.  By
default it displays the effect on AIC of dropping each term, in turn,
from the model.  If you request them, though, it can also give you test
statistics and significance probabilities.

If there is an "A:B" interaction in the model, the main effects "A" or
"B", if present, are not considered until a decision has been made on
including "A:B".  The meaning of "A:B" in a model is not absolute: it is
conditional on which main effect terms you have there as well.  This is
one reason why the process is ordered in this way, but the main reason
is the so-called 'marginality' issue.

If you do ask for test statistics and significance probabilities, you
get almost a SAS-style "Type III" anova table, with the important
restriction noted above: you will not get main effect terms shown along
with interactions.

If you want the full SAS, uh, version, there are at least two
possibilities. 1. Use SAS.  2. Use John Fox's Anova() function from the
'car' package, along with his excellent book, which should explain how
to avoid shooting yourself in the foot over this.

(This difference of opinion on what should sensibly be done, by the way,
predates R by a long shot.  My first exposure to it were with the very
acrimonious disputes between Nelder and Kempthorne in the mid 70's.  It
has remained a cross-Atlantic dispute pretty well ever since, with the
latest shot being the paper by Lee and Nelder in 2004.  Curiously, the
origin of the software can almost be determined by the view taken on
this issue, with Genstat going one way and SAS, SPSS, ... the other.
S-PLUS was a late comer...but I digress!)

Bill Venables.

Bill Venables
CSIRO Laboratories
PO Box 120, Cleveland, 4163
AUSTRALIA
Office Phone (email preferred): +61 7 3826 7251
Fax (if absolutely necessary):  +61 7 3826 7304
Mobile:                         +61 4 8819 4402
Home Phone:                     +61 7 3286 7700
mailto:Bill.Venables at csiro.au
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/