[R] Using R in a university course: dealing with proposal comments

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 11 14:11:37 CET 2008

Dear Arin,

As others have pointed out, this is potentially a valid point, but it is
applicable to all statistical software. I use R in several different courses
for social-science undergraduates and grad students, but the focus is on the
statistical methods, with R as a tool. In introductory courses, I use the
Rcmdr package to simplify students' interaction with R. Beyond that level, I
want students to learn to use R as a practical tool for data analysis, so I
teach them to write commands. In all courses, students have much more
difficulty with the substantive course content than with R, which they pick
up readily.

> Comment 2:
>
> Finally, on a minor point, why is "R" the statistical software being
> used? SPSS is probably more widely available in the workplace -
> certainly in areas of social policy etc. " (Prof NB)

I don't have concrete data on this, and I'm sure that usage varies by field,
but I'd bet that R is now more widely used overall (and internationally)
than SPSS. Moreover, it wouldn't take students long to learn to
point-and-click their way through SPSS if they have to use it in future.

I hope this helps,
 John