[R] Using R in a university course: dealing with proposal comments

Longinus kenneth.chui at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:00:55 CET 2008

I will also evaluate what did the students used before in the
introductory statistics class and how proficient they have become in
using it. If they only barely touched it, I will use my class as a
chance to further refine their familiarity with the software they saw
before. Tool is tool, I consider it's more important to use at least
one tool, regardless of if it's trendy or free or user-friendly,
really well rather than being able to juggle many softwares
superficially.

SPSS, despite of its price, is still widely recognized. I wouldn't
feel too bad teaching it. However, I will definitely shift the focus
to syntax writing from GUI so that the students will be better
prepared for other command based softwares.

Ken