[R] R programming style

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:19:54 CET 2008

Hi,

I think using Emacs+ESS [1,2] is always a good starting point for a
clear layout with consistent and meaningful indentation.

I don't know how other people think about it, but in my opinion,
"Elements of Programming Style" by Kernighan and Plauger is still an
interesting read -- although their programs are either Fortran or PL/1
and the book itself is 30 years or old. Of course, I am not always
successful but at least I try to incorporate their 'mantras':
- write clearly, don't be too clever [3]
- say what you mean, simply and directly
- use library functions
- write clearly -- don't sacrifice clarity for "efficiency"
- let the machine do the dirty work
- parenthesize to avoid ambiguity
- 10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0
- ...

I hope this helps?

Best,
Roland

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
[2] http://ess.r-project.org/
[3] I guess this is what Kernighan meant in his famous(?) quote:
"Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in
the first place. So if you're as clever as you can be when you write it,
how will you ever debug it?"
(http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Brian_W._Kernighan )