[R] Using R in a university course: dealing with proposal comments

David Whiting david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 17:40:07 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 07:37:04AM -0800, Neil Shephard wrote:

> Arin Basu-3 wrote:
> >
> > Comment 2:
> >
> > Finally, on a minor point, why is "R" the statistical software being
> > used? SPSS is probably more widely available in the workplace –
> > certainly in areas of social policy etc. " (Prof NB)
> >

> What struck me in the above is the "probably".  How probable is it, anything
> to substantiate the claim?
>
> Anyway, whether one package is more widely available in the workplace than
> another is somewhat of a moot point.  If a student learns how to use one
> software package then they start to get pigeon-holed into using that
> particular software package.
>
> Many jobs are advertised with "SPSS/SAS/Stata/S-Plus" (add/subtract at will)
> skills/knowledge required (or at least desirable).  The prospective job
> applicant may think "Well I don't know how to use that so I shan't bother
> applying" or they may be unwilling to re-learn how to use a new stats
> package after months/years of investment in learning how to use another
> package, alternatively they may well just loose out to someone who already
> has the experience/skills.
>
> (Most) of this problem isn't negated when using R.  Start a new job and use
> the (excellent, extensible, and free) software that you've been using for
> years.

And you could even argue that learning R means you'll be able to do
more with SPSS: http://www.spss.com/spss/data_management_book.htm

[I have not read this book so I don't know anything about the details
of how they implement this, I just came across this by accident, but I
was intrigued by the idea of extending SPSS using R.]

David

--
David Whiting, Ph.D.
Advancing Research in Chronic Disease Epidemiology (ARCHEPI) programme