[R] Linux, UNIX, XP32, Vista X64 or ...? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Tue Feb 12 08:02:35 CET 2008

At 10:27 AM +1100 2/12/08, <Jin.Li at ga.gov.au> wrote:
>Thanks to all for your kind suggestions.
>
>After some discussion with our IT staff, I was told the UNIX system we have
>is Solaris and installation of R is very time consuming because "Given that
>this software is not standard, and given the amount of time required to
>compile the software (and potentially it's dependencies), it will need to be
>resourced as a project ..."

Even if pre-built versions of R were not available, I think your IT
staff is exaggerating -- or at least being overly cautious when faced
with something unfamiliar.

Although I have used unix for many years, I am not a trained or
experienced Solaris system administrator. Yet I have been able to
install R from source on a modern Solaris using not more than a day
or so. And most of that time was spent doing things that an
experienced Solais sysadmin should be able to do relatively quickly.

-Don