[R] How many R packages?

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:54:12 CET 2008

Thanks to all who responded, those were very helpful!

Henrique's solution (below) gets right to it & counts whatever repositories you have selected. For all repositories the number is 2,758, so there must have been a few duplicates in my manual count.

I'm trying make the case to users of other stat packages that R offers a lot. However, I don't want to overstate the case. Does anyone know about the packages with repteticious sounding names like the 19 bvbovines? I know technically they are different packages, but are they minor tweaks or would you count them as different packages in this context?

Thanks,
Bob