[R] help with bwplot

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 21:18:50 CET 2008

>  I have following data set, which I want to plot the "Scale" variable on the
>  x-axis and "Mean"´on the y-axis for each Ageclass and for each sex. The Mean
>  value of each Ageclass for each sex would be connected by a line. Totally,
>  there should be 6 lines, from which three present the Mean values of each
>  Ageclass for respective sex. Are there any easy ways to do this in R?

Maybe something like:

install.packages("ggplot2")
library(ggplot2)

qplot(Scale, Mean, data=df, colour=Sex, linetype = Ageclass,
geom="line", group=interaction(Sex, Ageclass))

The only possibly non-intuitive thing is the group variable - this
specifies the that you want a single line for each combination of sex
and ageclass.  The default is to draw a line for each combination of
all of the categorical variables, which doesn't work here because the
x axis is categorical.  You might also want to do:

df <- transform(df, Scale = reorder(Scale, Mean))

which orders scale in ascending order of mean Mean.

You can find out more about ggplot2 at http://had.co.nz/ggplot2

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/