[R] R CMD SHLIB help

Deepak Chandran deepakc at u.washington.edu
Wed Feb 13 08:52:38 CET 2008

Hello,

   I have been having a great deal of difficulty using R CMD SHLIB to
generate the .so file from my C file. I am using Win XP, and I have
cygwin installed. I updated to the latest MinGW make files in order to
get rid of some error. But I still get a few warnings (shown below), and
no shared file (.so file) produced at the end.

C:\cygwin\home\Deepak>R CMD SHLIB ssa.h
C:/R/src/gnuwin32/MkRules:235: warning: overriding commands for target
`.c.d'
C:/R/src/gnuwin32/MkRules:223: warning: ignoring old commands for target
`.c.d'
C:/R/src/gnuwin32/MkRules:255: warning: overriding commands for target
`.c.o'
C:/R/src/gnuwin32/MkRules:243: warning: ignoring old commands for target
`.c.o'

On another Windows computer (without Cygwin, but has Rtools), I tried
the same. I get the error:
c:\R\Rtools\MinGW\bin\windres.exe: _res.rc:8: syntax error
make: *** [_res.o] Error 1

Additionally, there was an error that says "gcc-sjlj" is not found. Is
this supposed to be "gcc -sjlj"? As a temporary solution I made a copy
of gcc.exe called gcc-sjlj.exe -- I don't know whether this will cause
other problems.

Thank you very much