[R] summary statistics

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:07:53 CET 2008

Jim,
prettyR looks like it will work, but with the way that my data frame
is set up I still can not get what I want out of it.  I am lacking in
my knowledge on manipulating data frames, and general R programing.
Is there a reference that will give me all of these wonderful data
manipulation tools that previous posters in this thread have sighted:

>tapply(x$mgl, x$RM, summary)

I read the help file for tapply and I still don't entirely understand
it.  I am a biologist trying to learn R because it serves my purposes-
I am not a programmer; however, I see the utility enough to be right
stubborn when it come to learning this.  I am fully aware that I am
not competent in programing, but I do know the the theory behind the
analyzes that I am performing, which, granted, are not all that
sophisticated (mostly descriptive statistics, community data
ordination, and time series analysis).  My main complaint is I don't
know which way to put a data frame into R to let it proceed with the
analysis.  I preprocess most of my data in excel- this is a convention
imposed by the kind of data and knowledge of the rest of the folks
that are in my lab.  Is there a succinct reference for programing in
R(S+) on how to rearrange data once inside of R, and maybe a general
guide for matrix/ data frame setup for general analysis and what "way"
something should look for different kinds of analysis.  I am learning
and, most of the time, I can generate graphs etc. faster than in
excel, but sometimes I spend hours trying to "get the data in the
right format" and then three minutes of actual coding and result
generation.  Maybe I'm out of my league, but I am not content with
giving my data over to somebody else to do the analysis because
relativley more knowledge on how a river system works.
thanks everybody for the continuing help

Stephen

--
Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and

								-K. Mullis