[R] Package for Multiple Additive Regression Trees

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 10:29:26 CET 2008

Christopher Schwalm <schw0516 <at> umn.edu> writes:

> Hello List,
>
> I've been unsuccessful in tracking down a package that does MART. J
> Friedman's website has a page that mentions an R implementation but the
> links lead nowhere. There is also a nice walkthru/vignette pdf on his site.
> But I can not find this package anywhere. Perhaps it's commercial? Does
> anyone know of where it might be available or of any other R package (or
> Matlab toolbox) that can do MART?
>
> Many thanks,
> Christopher

There has been a rough R-code implementation of MART some years ago on
Friedman's home page. Since then, MART is only available from Salford
Systems as part of their TreeNet software.

I asked Jerome Friedman about the R/MART interface, but he only guided
me to the Salford System Web page. Salford replied, but I never received
any R interface for their software from them.

TreeNet is a very interesting Data Mining applicatione. To try it out
you can easily receive a demo license from Salford -- without the R
interface, of course.

Hans W. Borchers