[R] Any mountain clustering method in R?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:15:58 CET 2008

Dear Josep Maria,

Maybe this is way too naive, but what about a hill-climbing algorithm
started from different places, and without (almost) any attempt to
avoid local maxima? I think that if you formulate your question like a
clustering problem, then you'll be using techniques that attempt to
solve problems that are not really of any concern for you original
question.

Regardless, I think you'll need to carefully think what constitute
legitimate peaks for you. Suppose the 1D data
2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2

is the first "4" a peak or not?

Best,

R.