[R] write output in a custom format

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Feb 14 16:59:16 CET 2008

Hi,

I need to create a text file in the following format,

> 1 100.0 0
>  0 0
>  1 1
>  0 0
>  1 1
> #
> 1 100.0 0
>  0 0
>  0 1
>  1 0
>  1 1

where # is part of the format and not a R comment.

Each block (delimited by #) consists of a first line with three
values, call it dose, and a list of (x,y) coordinates which are a
matrix or data.frame,

> particle <- list(dose=c(1,100.0,0),pos=data.frame(x=c(0,1,0,1),y=c
> (0,1,0,1)))
>
> print(particle)

I'd like to establish a connection to a file and append to it a
"particle" block in the format above, or even write the whole file at
once.

Because different lines have a different number of elements, I
couldn't get write.table to work in this case, and my attempts at sink
(), dump(), writeLines(), writeChar() all turn into really dirty
solutions. I have this feeling I'm overlooking a simple solution.

Any help welcome,

baptiste

Baptiste Auguié

Physics Department