[R] Quadratic Programming

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 16 08:21:52 CET 2008

G'day Jorge,

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:51:16 -0500
"Jorge Aseff" <jgaseff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using solve.QP (from quadprog) to solve a standard quadratic
> programming problem: min_w -0.5*w'Qw st ... I would like solve.QP to
> do two things: 1) to start the optimization from a user-supplied
> initial condition; i.e., from a vector w_0 that satisfies the
> constraints,

Not possible.  solve.QP is based on the Goldfarb-Idnani algorithm which
first calculates the unconstrained solution of the problem and then
checks for violated constraints; if such exist, then they are
iteratively enforced until all constraints are satisfied.

If you want to specify starting values (or have warm starts), then you
would need to use other kind of algorithms.

> and 2) to return the values of the lagrange multiplieres
> associated with the constraints.

See:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-December/047636.html

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

	Berrwin

Berwin A Turlach                            Tel.: +65 6516 4416 (secr)
Dept of Statistics and Applied Probability        +65 6516 6650 (self)
Faculty of Science                          FAX : +65 6872 3919
National University of Singapore
6 Science Drive 2, Blk S16, Level 7          e-mail: statba at nus.edu.sg
Singapore 117546                    http://www.stat.nus.edu.sg/~statba