[R] R on a computer cluster

Markus Schmidberger schmidberger at gmx.at
Sat Feb 16 12:20:45 CET 2008

Hi,

your required performance is strongly depending on your application.
If you talk about a cluster, you should think about several computers.
Not only one computer with several processors.

If you have several computers. First of all you have to decide for a
communication protocol for parallel computing: MPI, PVM, ...
Then you have to install this at your computers. I think you should use
MPI and one of its implementations: OpenMPI, LamMPI
Then there are several R packages for using the communication protocols:
Rmpi, snow, Rpvm, ...

If you have one computer with severals processors, you can do the same
thinks. But then you have only shared memory (bottleneck) and there is
not to much improvement in performance. R is not yet implemented for
multiple-processors. There is one first, experimental R package using
openMP for multi threading: pnmath
(http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/experimental/)

Some useful links:
http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/yu/Rmpi/