[R] Error 'singular gradient' in nonlinear model fitting

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 16 14:34:55 CET 2008

On Feb 15, 2008 11:50 AM, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Try fitting regressing log(WEIGHT) against log(TOTAL) using lm
> and then transform the results into starting values for nls (or
> possibly that is sufficient and you don't need the nls results).

Also, set the trace argument to TRUE in your call to nls.  This will
cause nls to print the progress of the iterations including the
residual sum of squares and the parameter values.  What usually
happens with a singular gradient is that one of the parameters,
probably beta, is heading to an extreme value.

This particular model can be reduced to a one-parameter optimization
problem by using the optional "plinear" algorithm.

nls(WEIGHT ~ (TOTAL^beta)/454, start = c(beta = 3), data =
spottedseatrout2004.female.data, algorithm = "plinear")