[R] History of R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Feb 16 18:29:46 CET 2008

Hi, Kathy, John, et al.:

      Has there been an answer to the question of why R has been much
more successful than Octave?

      In this regard, can anyone provide a price comparison of student
versions for S-Plus and Matlab during R's gestation period, 10-15 years
ago?  I had the impression, perhaps incorrect, that several college
profs (including Ross and Robert) felt their student's could not afford
S-Plus, and that was a large part of the motivation, not just for R & R,
but for many other early contributors to R.  Insightful has been
incredibly generous to the R community recently, and I hope that
continues.  However, I wonder if R would have emerged when it did and
been as successful if academic prices for S-Plus prior to, say, 1992 or
1997 had been substantially lower, especially outside the US.  Of
course, it may have been easier for the Matlab to offer deep academic
discounts than S-Plus, because Matlab may have a larger industrial base
market.

      Beyond that, the "contributed packages" system has helped
immensely in R's growth;  if Octave has such a system, it's not as
visible as CRAN.  I recall hearing from Doug Bates (last August at useR!
2007 in Ames, IA) that a major turning point in the development of R
came when Martin Maechler convinced Ross & Robert to accept contributed
packages.  However, this is my memory, and it would be wise if feasible
to clarify this with Ross, Robert, Martin, Doug, and others.

      That's just my US$0.02 (which is only worth roughly half what it
was on the international market at this time in 2001).

      Hope this helps,
      Spencer