[R] Custom Plot - means, SD & 5th-95th% (Plotmeans or Boxplot)

h.wickham at gmail.com h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:03:46 CET 2008

It's fairly simple to set up something like this for ggplot2:

install.packages("ggplot2")
library(ggplot2)

library(ggplot2)

q5 <- function(data) {
 q <- function(p) unname(quantile(data$y, p))
 data.frame(min = q(0.05), max = q(0.95))
}

ggplot(diamonds, aes(x = cut, y = price)) +
stat_summary(fun="mean_sdl", geom="crossbar", mult=1) +
stat_summary(fun="q5", geom="linerange")

(see Hmisc::smean.sdl for more details on the first summary function).

Although from this example you can see that that choice of summary
statistics probably isn't the best.  You can read more about
stat_summary (and ggplot2 in general) at
http://had.co.nz/ggplot2/stat_summary.html.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/