[R] predicting memory usage

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:58:21 CET 2008

If this is numeric, then for just storing one copy, you will require
86000 * 2500 * 8 = 1.7GB of memory.  You should have 3-4X that if you
want to analyze it, so you might need about 6GB of physical memory and
a 64-bit version of R.  Is there some other alternative?  Do you need
all the values at once, or can you use a database to access the
portions you want?