[R] Help with circular-linear regression in package circular

Kristen Covino Kristen_Covino at umit.maine.edu
Wed Feb 20 16:39:12 CET 2008

I am looking for assistance in figuring out how to use the circular-linear regression in package circular.
See below for an example of what I have been trying. If anyone can help me with this please reply to my email address.
Thank you,

This is what I have been doing:
with a linear variable x; lets use >x=c(1:10)
and a circular variable y; for example >y=circular(c(123,239,265,342,198,253,343,237,162,247),units='degrees')
trying to do the regression; >lm.circular(y,x, type='c-l')
I get the error, >Error in lm.circular.cl(...) : 'init' is missing with no default
But I tried to create a vector, init with the same columns as x (as the description of c-l regression says and I still get an error)
>Error in lm.circular.cl(...) : 'init' must have the same number of elements as the columns of 'x'

Any assistance is appreciated.

Kristen Covino
Graduate Student and Teaching Assistant
School of Biology and Ecology