[R] [OT] Linux/UNIX question

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 23:14:41 CET 2008

On 20-Feb-08 21:51:54, Edna Bell wrote:
> Dear R Gurus:
>
> I'm trying to find R on another Linux system.
>
> I'm using the find command, (surprise), but I only want to see the
> output where it exists, not all of the other stuff.
>
> Is there an option that I could select, please?
>
> Right now I have
>
> find / -name R
>
> TIA,
> Sincerely,
> Edna

It depends on precisely what you want to find.
If you just want to locate the command "R" to run R,
then, assuming that when you're logged in your $PATH
contains what it should, the command

  which R

should find it for you. E.g.:

$ which R
/usr/bin/R

You may well find that your 'find' command generates
a stream of "permission denied" messages. Since these
emerge on the "stderr" channel (No 2) rather than on
"stdout" (No 1), you can do

find / -name R 2>/dev/null

However, since all the R libraries have a subdirectory
called R, you can still get a lot of output. But maybe
you want that, in this case ... !

Basically, though, if R is there the main "R" command
will be at /usr/bin/R, and the libraries will be at
/usr/lib/R.

You will also find an apparently identical "R" command at

/usr/lib/R/bin/R

but this is simply a symbolic link to /usr/bin/R

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 20-Feb-08                                       Time: 22:14:35