[R] History of R

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Feb 22 23:48:22 CET 2008

Kathy

The dedication of the developers and several other important things have
already been mentioned. Here are a few points I have not seen.

- I believe S was originally open source (before the term existed and
before GPL, and license issues were probably clouded with respect to
changing the code). This meant parts of the community of S user had this
tradition. Some, no doubt, were a bit upset about the Splus move to
closed source.

- This community had also significantly contributed to Statlib, so there
were some "packages" that could be leveraged in the beginning. This may
have been not so important for what the packages did, but for the fact
that they gave an extensive test suite, so one could have considerable
confidence in the results.

- Purchase cost is typically not so important for corporate and
institutional users, since it is usually dominated by support costs.
However, young users may often feel they would prefer to have their
personal investment in something they can easily take with them if they
move.  Some of us at the other end like the idea that we don't need a
corporate account to continue research we might be interested in doing
when we retire.

- All risk averse users should like the idea that programs and acquired
skills are not tied to the operating system and hardware flavor of the
month. (R has excelled in this respect.)

- Help on the R lists has always been exceptionally good (sometimes even
if you don't read the documentation first - but expect to be chastised).
If you look at the S help list over the past 15 years, you will find
many of the most difficult questions were answered by people involved
with R.

- I ran my own code interchangeably in Splus and R for many years
(starting with R-0.16). For a long time Splus was "production" and R was
so I would have a backup. For me, the defining factor in moving to R for
"production" was the introduction of the "package" system.  This is
really special in the way that it develops the synergy of the community.
By packaging your code you get to leverage all the code checking and
documentation checking of the system, and you get to add your own tests
that run automatically when you build your package. Not only that, but
if you make your package availabe on CRAN you get not only the useful
feedback from users, but also the automatic information about what is
going to break in your code in the next release of R (from the daily
checks on multiple platforms). This is not only useful to package
developers, but provides R itself with what I would guess is the largest
automatic test bed in the industry. The system is also interesting in
the way that it has resolved one of the big problems of Statlib: there
is an automatic mechanism for removing broken and unmaintained packages.

Paul Gilbert

Kathy Gerber wrote:
> Earlier today I sent a question to Frank Harrell as an R developer with
> whom I am most familiar.  He suggested also that I put my questions to
> the list for additional responses.  Next month I'll be giving a talk on
> R as an example of high quality open source software.  I think there is
> much to learn from R as a high quality extensible product that (at least
> as far as I can tell) has never been "spun" or "hyped" like so many open
> source fads.
>
> The question that intrigues me the most is why is R as an open source
> project is so incredibly successful and other projects, say for example,
> Octave don't enjoy that level of success?
>
> I have some ideas of course, but I would really like to know your
> thoughts when you look at R from such a vantage point.
>
> Thanks.
> Kathy Gerber
> University of Virginia
> ITC - Research Computing Support

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.