[R] Mixed model Nested ANOVA

jebyrnes jebyrnes at ucdavis.edu
Sat Feb 23 00:34:11 CET 2008

So, Site is nested in location.  Location is nested in Region.  And you are
looking at how density varies.  Let's think about this from the point of
view of a model with varying intercepts.

You have some mean density in your study.  That mean will deviate by site,
location, and region.  Each of which is nested in the other.  So.

density ~ N(site mean, within site sd)
site mean ~ N(location mean, between site SD)
location mean ~ N(region mean, between location SD)
region mean ~ N(0, between region SD)

This last one may seem odd, but you can see it if you think about, say,
location mean = region mean + N(0, between location SD), or, similarly,
density = site mean + N(0, within site sd)

This can be fit in lmer with the following (I believe)
mod1<-lmer(density ~ 1 + (1|site) + (1|location) + (1|region))

You can then use other methods described previously in the thread for
post-hoc analysis.  You can also use the arm library and look at ranef(mod1)
and se.ranef(mod1) to look at the coefficient estimates and error for each
level.  I often find it helpful to look at an estimate +/- 2SE.

The nesting of location within region, site within location, etc, should
take care of itself.  See R news 2005 issue 1 page 29
http://www.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2005-1.pdf

-Jarrett