[R] How to Include greek symbol in axis label?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 23 08:05:37 CET 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Kenneth Takagi wrote:

> Hi, I'm fairly new to R, so hopefully this is an easy question...

Sorry, no as you haven't given us the minimum information asked for in the
posting guide and we are reduced to attempted mind reading.

What is 'font=6'?

R only has font = 1 to 5.  There is an extension on the windows() device
only (but you have not mentioned an OS): nowadays the use of
par(family=) is preferred.  So a likely answer is to use
par(family="serif")

BTW, this is not a 'greek character'.  It is the mathematical symbol phi,
and that is distinct from the Greek character, and not in whatever
'font=6' is.