[R] Read.xport function in package foreign

Nelson, Gary (FWE) Gary.Nelson at state.ma.us
Mon Feb 25 16:12:19 CET 2008

Hi All,

Sorry that I didn't provide enough information.

I've been trying to import SAS xport files that contain multiple files
using package foreign's read.xport.  I first attempted this back in 2005
and had problems. Some of files that were present in the SAS xport file
weren't being created in R.  I submitted my problem to the community:
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/57864.html

and Dr. Dalgaard confirmed the issue:
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/57868.html

>From what I've read, this problem was identified before 2005:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/03a/0527.html

After updating to version 2.6.1 recently, I decided to try it again, but
the problem still exists.  I spent time trying to determine the issue
but I don't understand the IEEE coding.  I did discover that the data
from the missing files are actually being included in one of the data
frames but the data were read incorrectly.
The XPORT files come from ftp://cusk.nmfs.noaa.gov/mrfss/intercept/ag/
if anyone wants to try it.
I used the .xpt in "int82ag.zip" (all years except 1985,1988 and 1989
are read incorrectly) and it appears they were created using SASV5XPT.
Once imported, look in data frame I3_19822 which should have only 3650
records, but there are 76,187 records.

I am using version:
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          6.1
year           2007
month          11
day            26
svn rev        43537
language       R
version.string R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)

And package foreign is version 0.8-23.

I am wondering if anyone has created a fix that isn't available yet?

Thanks,
Gary Nelson.