[R] load windows file in linux

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 08:09:34 CET 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Beth Wilmot wrote:

> Hello R users,
> I have windows XP running Rv2.6.0 and a Solaris OS 10 x86-64 running
> Rv2.4.0.
>
> I transferred several  large .rda files from windows to linux because
> of memory issues.  I saved as .rda files on windows.  In linux, the
> files load and have the proper dimensions, but will not index.  I get
> the following error:
>
> "negative length vectors are not allowed".
>
> However, I can load and access the .rda files in a new R instance on a
> different windows machine so I know they have saved properly.
>
> What should I be doing differently?

Not using R 2.4.0 on Solaris.  You cannot move .rda files backwards in
time.  From the rw-FAQ:

6.3 Can I load workspaces saved under Unix/GNU-Linux or Mac OS?

Yes.  All ports of R use the same format for workspaces, so they are
interchangeable (for the same 2.x.? version of R, at least).

My guess is that your .rda file contains data frames that 'will not index'
because they have automatic row names, a feature of R >= 2.5.0.  If so,
you could try giving them explicit row names before saving.  But a much
better solution is to update both your R installations to R 2.6.2 (and the
posting guide asked you to do so before posting).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk