[R] column name handling and long labels

Werner Wernersen pensterfuzzer at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 27 13:27:46 CET 2008

Somehow, I don't get how the labels of Hmisc work. My
expectation was that if I use the following code and
then the print method, I would get an output where the
headers are replaced by the labels but I get the
normal variable names. How can I get the labels as
headers instead in the printed table?

df <- data.frame(x=seq(1,3),y=seq(4,6))
df <- upData(df, labels=c(x="X1",y="X2"))
print(df2)

Thanks again,
  Werner

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two loosely related questions which could
> make
> > my live again a bit easier:
> >
> > 1) Is there a simple way to select a range of
> columns
> > in a data frame using column names?
> > I am thinking of something like
> mydf[1,"col4":"col8"]
>
> Try this using builtin data frame anscombe which has
> columns
> x1 to x4 followed by y1 to y4:
>
> subset(anscombe, select = x3:y2)
>

> > 2) I have a data frame with many columns and they
> all
> > have short variable names which is good in most
> cases
> > but sometimes it would be nice to have also a
> longer
> > descriptive name / label attached to the variable
> > which could then be used for printing and latex
> > output. Has anybody come up with a convenient way
> > do that?
> > Right now, I am using always match or merge in
> case of
> > row names.
> >

> See ?label in package Hmisc.
>
> > Many thanks,