[R] Label outliers in boxplot

David Hewitt dhewitt37 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 23:48:57 CET 2008

> simply when I boxplot i use
>
> boxplot(as.data.frame(z))
>
> I would like the rownames to appear close to the outliers in the boxplot.
> There is a command to do it ? I've seen the identify() function but I'm
> not able to obtain any results.

Your data frame came through scrambled for me. From the posting guide comes
a hint on making this easier for readers to help you:

"When providing examples, it is best to give an R command that constructs
the data ... For more complicated data structures, dump("x", file=stdout())
will print an expression that will recreate the object x."

That aside, there's some help for you in '?boxplot'. See the values in the
returned object; the outliers are identified already. You can call them out
separately (http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/09/12735.html) or get
them with the identify function
(http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/07/01/8598.html). Note that the
last Identify command in the latter link should be a lowercase identify.

I got those by searching the mail archives (originally).

-----
David Hewitt
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
http://www.vims.edu/fish/students/dhewitt/