[R] Error in cor.default(x1, x2) : missing observations in cov/cor

Erik Iverson iverson at biostat.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 28 00:00:07 CET 2008

OK, that is not the definition of cor in the stats package.  Some add-on
package you are loading might be overwriting it.

What happens if you do

stats::cor(x1,x2)

?

Ken Spriggs wrote:
> I get the following:
>
>> cor
> function (x, y = NULL, use = "all.obs", method = c("pearson",
>     "kendall", "spearman"))
> {
>     UseMethod("cor")
> }
>

> Erik Iverson wrote:
>> What happens when you type "cor" at the R prompt?  Perhaps your calling
>> of the cor function is not calling the cor function in the stats package?
>>

>> Ken Spriggs wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to do cor(x1,x2) and I get the following error:
>>> Error in cor.default(x1, x2) : missing observations in cov/cor
>>>
>>> A few things:
>>> 1.  I've used cor() many times and have never encountered this error.
>>> 2.  length(x1) = length(x2)
>>> 3.  is.numeric(x1) = is.numeric(x2) = TRUE
>>> 4.  which(is.na(x1))  = which(is.na(x2)) = integer(0)   {the same goes
>>> for
>>> is.nan()}