[R] non parametric linear regression

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Feb 28 19:41:35 CET 2008

These methods are more commonly called robust regression or resistant
regression (it is not really non-parametric since you are trying to
estimate the slope which is a parameter, just not of a normal
distribution).

There are many methods for doing robust regressions, the book Modern
Applied Statistics with S (MASS) has a good discussion on some different
techniques.

Running the command:

> RSiteSearch("median regression")

Gives several hits, one of which is the mblm function in the mblm
package which, based on its description, does the calculations you
mention.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.