[R] INSTALL.in: Install R to local path?

Daniel Oberski daniel.oberski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:08:13 CET 2008

Dear all,

I am trying to install R on a (Linux Debian) machine where I do not
have root access. So far I succeeded in compiling from source and
running R.

But I would really like to be able to use "make install" and to be
able to install certain packages such as foreign. Now these actions
require permissions for directories that I do not have.

In particular I would like R home to be ~/bin/R, the libraries to
reside in ~/lib, and so on.

I looked in the INSTALL script and it would seem to be possible to
accomplish this by editing INSTALL.in, running ./configure and
make-ing again. But the INSTALL.in file is rather daunting and I do
not know which variables I need to change...

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated here.

Best regards,

Daniel