[R] Seeking a more efficient way to read in a file

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 02:31:39 CET 2008

After you read in the first line, read the rest of the file with a single scan:

rest <- scan(..., sep="\t", what=0, skip=1)
index <- 1  # used to march through 'rest'
for (i in 1:3000){
    for (j in 1:i){
        malt[i,j] <- rest[index]
        index <- index+1
    }
}

There are probably faster ways, but this should go quicker since most
of your previous time was spent in the reading.