[R] Windows Shell Command under Vista

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:08:31 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 2:21 AM, Dieter Menne <dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de> wrote:
> Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > How are you starting up the command line?  If I position myself to the right
> > side of the Windows Explorer window in Vista and press Shift-RightClick and
> > then  choose Open Command Window Here then the command window
> > comes up instantaneously on my system -- there is no discernable delay
> > at all.
>
> Same method for me (I only made it always visible to avoid the Shift). 19
> Seconds on the first call, 11 Second later on a brand-new system. This is
> Click-To-Visible time, processing starts earlier, when I start Sweave with
> short files it has finished processing before the box is on screen.
> I normally start from scratch, so clicking .Rdata is not an option.
>
> I have given up the shell approach, using AutoHotKey instead, which is
> convenient since it picks the currently selected directory from Explorer and
> can also be used to start Sweave-make.
>
> #Include ExplorerWindowControl.ahk ; << Defines Shellfolder
> ; This overrides Start/R which I never use
> #r::Run,rgui.exe --no-restore --no-save --internet2, % ShellFolder()

Another possibility is just don't use Windows Explorer.  Just
run from the command line and when you occasionally want
explorer just start it up from the command line rather than
visa versa.

Rgui.bat, Rcmd.bat and sweave.bat in batchfiles facilitate this.
Like RguiStart.bat all 3 automatically find R so the only installation
is to place
them anywhere in your path.  Rgui.bat, Rcmd.bat (and RguiStart.bat)
are actually all the same file -- just with different names.  sweave.bat
sweaves, runs pdflatex and displays the pdf all in one command.
sweave.bat can also be used from SendTo like RguiStart.bat or
run directly from the command line.