[R] R script to start session (without automatically finishing)

Philipp Fechteler philipp.fechteler at hhi.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jan 3 11:52:29 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Philipp Fechteler wrote:
>
>> Hello Mr Ripley
>>
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>>> So you have to write a script that will not terminate until you
>>> 'press a button or something like this'.  That's easy to do, but as
>>> you haven't told us your OS.  E.g. on Windows, call winDialogString
>>> at the end.
>>>

>> Thank you for helping. I am running on Linux. But I think the
>> getchar() like call should be inside the R script. So is there
>> something like this in R or any loadable module, e.g. a function
>> sleeping until a key is pressed and returning the key code?
>
> See ?readline, and from Rscript scan("stdin", "", n=1).

The scan() function is quite near on my desired solution. But it
inhabits the following problem. The rgl window pops up showing the data
I want to see, but its frozen (due to the following scan() call). So I
successfully see the data visualization as long as I want, but its a
static view, the mouse-interactivity is lost (changing the viewing
angle, zoom etc.).

> You can't do this totally portably: R might not be connected to a
> terminal (even in interactive use: think ESS). You could also use a Tk
> widget to give your users a button to press.

Is there anywere a short tutorial, how to mix R scripts with Tk?

But the best would be to change the upper approach, so that the rgl
window just keeps its interactivity.

Thank you.
Philipp

Email	philipp.fechteler at hhi.fraunhofer.de
WWW	http://iphome.hhi.de/fechteler

----
Visit us at

FOE 2008 (8th Fiber Optics Expo) / Tokio Big Sight, Japan / 16 - 18 January 2008 / Booth 2 - 50
http://www.foe.jp/english