[R] help.search and indexing

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 13:56:03 CET 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Dong-hyun Oh wrote:

> Dear expeRt,
>
> I occasionally use help.search() function to find appropriate
> functions in R.
> Whenever committing help.search() after rerunning R, it takes so much
> time to find help (around 2 minutes).
> Is there any way to make it faster in help.search()?
> I think indexing help database is one of the solution, but i don't

It is already done for each package, at installation.

> know how to do.

What version of R?  This is much faster in recent versions, including
R-devel.  The latter takes only 3 seconds on my system, with 1500 packages
installed.  It is likely the problem is reading the package indices on
your system, especially if they are on a non-local or slow file system.
Note that subsequent queries in the session make use of the already-built
database (if relevant).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk