[R] Can R solve this optimization problem?

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Jan 7 17:32:01 CET 2008

Hi Paul,

Your problem statement does not make much sense to me.  You say that an
analytical solution can be found easily.  I don't see how.

This is a variational calculus type problem, where you maximize a
functional.  Your constraint dx/dt=u(t) means that there exists a solution
(the anti-derivative of u) that is unique up to an arbitrary constant.
However, a solution may not even exist since you are imposing two conditions
on it: x(0) = x(1) = 0.  If your solution satisfies both conditions, then it
certainly is unique, and it is the x(t) that maximizes integral.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu