[R] Range of circular data

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Tue Jan 8 10:59:40 CET 2008

> I want to get the minimum arc (in degrees) needed to include a set of
> compass directions.  I would like to use the range.circular() function
> of the package circular, because that package understands a compass-type
> of angle convention, but it gives results I don't understand.  Howver, I
> can get the correct answer in the example below, 90 degrees, using the
> CircStats package.  How can I make the circular package work for me?
>
> > R.version.string
> [1] "R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)"
>
> > library(circular)
> > y <- circular(c(45, 135), units = "degrees", template = "geographics")
> > range.circular(y)
> Circular Data:
> Type = angles
> Units = degrees
> Template = geographics
> Modulo = asis
> Zero = 1.570796
> Rotation = clock
> [1] 0

Using y <- circular(c(45, 135), units = "degrees"); range.circular(y)
gives the correct answer.
Circular Data:
Type = angles
Units = degrees
Template = none
Modulo = asis
Zero = 0
Rotation = counter
[1] 90

The different answers are generated in the subfunction conversion.circular
- take a look in there to see what is going on.

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit
HSL