[R] loading igraph package on Solaris

Peter McMahan peter.mcmahan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 01:21:28 CET 2008

With a fresh copy of igraph 0.4.5 I made all of the changes at
http://code.google.com/p/igraph/issues/detail?id=1
*except* for those to rinterface.c (I know very little about C and it
wasn't clear what changes should be made).
This still left some errors with pottsmodel_2.cpp ('Overloading
ambiguity between "std::log(double)" and "std::log(long double)"'),
which I worked around by replacing the offending instances of
"log(foo)" with "log(static_cast<double>(foo))". (again, C and C++ are
mostly black boxes to me, so I have no idea if this was the right
thing to do)

I compiled and installed using:
R CMD INSTALL --configure-args="CC='gcc'" igraph

and still, library(igraph) gives me:
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
         unable to load shared library '/home/mcmahan/R/i386-pc-
solaris2.10-library/2.5/igraph/libs/igraph.so':
   ld.so.1: R: fatal: relocation error: file /home/mcmahan/R/i386-pc-
solaris2.10-library/2.5/igraph/libs/igraph.so: symbol __1cDstdEcerr_:
referenced symbol not found
Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'igraph'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'igraph'

At this point I think I'm going to give up getting it working. The
initial reason to use the remote solaris system was for convenience —
to run some long-running code on a remote machine rather than my
laptop — but it seems like it will be easier to just run it here.

Thanks, everybody, for all of your help and patience.
Peter