[R] pairwise cross tabulation tables

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 11 01:23:35 CET 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, AndyZon wrote:

> Thank you so much, Chuck!
>
> This is brilliant, I just tried some dichotomous variables, it was really
> fast.

Yes, and if you are on a multicore system with multithreaded linear
algebra, crossprod() will distribute the job across the cores making the
elapsed time shorter (by almost half on my Core 2 Duo MacBook as long as I
have nothing else gobbling up CPU cycles)!

> Most categorical variables I am interested in are 3 levels, they are
> actually SNPs, I want to look at their interactions. My question is: after
> generating 0-1 codings, like 00, 01, 10, how should I use "crossprod()"?
> Should I just apply this function on these 2*n columns (originally I have n
> variables), and then operate on the generated cell counts?

If I followed you here, and you have ONLY those three categories, then
yes.

Try a test case with perhaps 3 SNPs and a few subjects. Table the results
the old fashioned way via table() or xtabs() or even by hand. Then look at
what crossprod( test.case } gives you.

---

If '11' shows up you'll have to use a 'contr.treatment' style
approach. ( run 'example( contrasts )' and look at what is going on).

Guess what these give:

 	contrasts( factor( c( "00","01","10" ) ) )
 	contrasts( factor( c( "00","01","10","11" ) ) )

then run them if you have trouble seeing why '11' changes the picture.

---

BTW, what I said (below) suggests that crossprod() returns integer
values, but its storage.mode is actually "double".

HTH,

Chuck

I am confused
> about this.
>
> Your input will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Andy

> Charles C. Berry wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, AndyZon wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a huge number of categorical variables, say at least 10000, and I
>>> put
>>> them into a matrix, each column is one variable. The question is: how can
>>> make all of the pairwise cross tabulation tables efficiently? The
>>> straightforward solution is to use for-loops by looping two indexes on
>>> the
>>> table() function, but it was just too slow. Is there a more efficient way