[R] Is R on Windows multi-threaded

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Jan 11 15:37:38 CET 2008

Rees, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A previous thread suggests that R on Windows is multi-threaded
>
> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/03b/6946.html
>
> When I'm running R 2.5.1 on a dual core pc I get Rgui.exe uses up to 50%
> of the available cpu and the rest is not used. i.e. it only uses one
> cpu. I'm soon going to get a nice shiny new 8 cpu machine which it would
> be very nice to fully utilize.
>
> Is there any way to get R to use all the cpus - should this happen
> automatically?

Multi-threaded does not mean that computations are performed in parallel
automatically. There are some packages around that help you to
parallelize your code  (e.g. the meta package "snow" that needs some
additional low-level package for the architecture you are going to use
for making your computations parallel).  I'd use all of those packages
under Linux or similar OS rather than Windows.

Uwe Ligges