[R] [R-sig-Geo] clipping a large image on R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jan 11 18:47:23 CET 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> Try the EBImage package (utilizes ImageMagick and is available via
> Bioconductor.org) - not sure if it well help though.  If not, try to
> clip the larger image by calling ImageMagick outside R.

First, please only write to one list at a time - this reply to both to
continue thread.

Please read the documentation in the rgdal package properly, then on the
format (unknown) that your data are in on www.gdal.org if necessary. Use
the arguments to readGDAL() or asSGDF_GROD() in ?readGDAL, and/or
getRasterData() or getRasterTable() in ?"GDALRasterBand-class", most
likely offset= to offset the origin in rows and columns, and region.dim=
to set the numbers of rows and columns to access.

You should be able to work out the ones you need from the smaller image
that you can read. The GDALinfo() function should give you enough
information on the larger file to help set up offset= and region.dim= - if
resampling is needed, use output.dim= as well. If you have multiple bands,
you can choose those too.

Roger