[R] lattice color problem with symbols: bug?

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Fri Jan 11 19:04:12 CET 2008

Dear useR's,

I have a problem with the lattice plotting of some symbols:

library(lattice)

test<-data.frame(x=c(2,3,1,5),u=c(rep(1,2),rep(2,2)),g=c(rep(c(1,2),2)))

xyplot(x~u,groups=g,
 data=test,
 par.settings=list(
    superpose.symbol=list(pch=c(22, 23),cex=c(1.7,1.6),col="black")
    ),
 key=list(
    text=list(c("t1","t2")),
    space = "bottom",pch=c(23, 22),
    points=F,
    cex=1.0,
    col="black"
    ),
)

As you see the symbols which have been plotted into the plotting area appear
to have some filling color while in the legend there is no filling color
although the specification of the symbols is the same.

If I use a normal plot command, the symbols are also not filled:
plot(c(1,2,3),c(1,2,3),pch=c(22,23,24),cex=1.5)

That problem must have occured during a recent lattice update since the color
was not there when I was plotting a year ago with R2.5.x and some older
lattice. It occurs on my linux as well as on my windows machine both with R
2.6.1 and latest lattice from CRAN.

So here my questions: How do I get rid of the color? (or is it a bug?) If it
is a feature, so how do I determine the color in both the symbols in the
legend and in the plot itself? (Actually I was overlaying two plots e.g. one
colored diamond and one empty diamond to achieve that effect but if there is
a more efficient way to draw bordered symbols with customized color that
would be preferable...)

Stefan