[R] Is R on Windows multi-threaded

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 12 09:21:25 CET 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Greg Snow wrote:

> Someone else suggested the snow package, but I don't think it is
> available for windows.

It is.  From http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.6/ReadMe

   Although the packages
     ROracle, and snow
   pass make check, it seems to be dangerous to distribute them:
   I do not have the software available these packages depend on.

It compiles from the sources, and using snow alone you can run socket
clusters on Windows (by default it expects ssh to be running, and Windows
machines rarely run an ssh daemon so as to accept incoming ssh).  The
caution is that the packages runs no tests so needs manual intervention to
test it, and in particular most people will want to run snow over Rmpi
which does not compile on Windows without more software (and some effort).

It might be worth modifying snow to more easily run multiple processes on
a single machine.

>I have been able to get the nws package to work
> on a duel core machine using windows and it did speed up my tests (and
> was fairly straight forward to use).

Dueling cores can be apt ....