[R] is it safe to replace every "<-" by "=" in R code?

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Mon Jan 14 02:16:33 CET 2008

Most R users believe that there is a clear distinction between " <- " and
"=".
Gabor's example is a wonderful illustration of that distinction.
Most users recommend " <- " for assignment for greater clarity and
readability.
The important characteristic for readability is the space on both sides of
the
assignment arrow.  Without spacing for human legibility anything will look
bad.