[R] things that are difficult/impossible to do in SAS or SPSS but simple in R

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 16 01:35:37 CET 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Roland Rau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> maybe I missed something while using SAS or SPSS. So please make sure
> that I am not talking nonsense here.
>
> - How would you re-use results in SPSS or SAS? If it is possible for SAS
> and SPSS, I am fairly sure it is not as easy as in R:
> lmmodel1 <- lm(Y~X)
> myslope <- coef(lmmodel1)[2]

taking off on the 're-use' idea here is a simple, instructive graphic:

  iris.cluster <- hclust( dist( iris[,-5]) )
  plot( iris[,-5], col=cutree( iris.cluster, k=4))

and here we can see if the clustering and choice of 4 clusters was
informative:

   table( iris[,5], cutree( iris.cluster, k=4 ))

Can SAS/SPSS do this easily?

One of the things that makes R/S nice is the existence of sensible methods
for plot, summary, and so on.

Chuck