[R] "Halfing" Kernels in Kernel Density?

Nils Müller-Scheessel muellerscheessel at rgk.dainst.de
Wed Jan 16 18:11:18 CET 2008

hits=-2.5 tests=BAYES_00,FORGED_RCVD_HELO

Hello,

I have got a question regarding the function "density":

Is there a way in R to "half" kernels or to use kernels which are
heavily skewed to one side?

My problem is as follows: I have a set of archaeological sites which
are dated by coins (e. g. made in the reign of Hadrianus). However,
normally, these coins give only the first possible date, but not the
exact one. So, it is quite possible that the coin was struck in, say,
115 BC, but was hidden in 160 BC. Such an event is, of course, much
more likely when the coin was still new. So, the chance that the coin
got hidden lessened during the course of time.
In order to take this fact in consideration, I would like to use only
the right half of the, for example, gaussian kernel (or,
alternatively, a heavily skewed kernel) when plotting the density of
the coins.

Is there a way to accomplish this in R?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Nils