[R] R configuration is not finding the installed f2c cross-compiler

Maura E Monville maura.monville at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:03:58 CET 2008

Actually up to last Friday, I have run R version 2.6.0 on Linux/SuSE
10.3  with no problem.
I cannot remember how I bypassed  the Fortran compiler requests when I
installed R 2.6.0
I am sure I never had to specify anything manually.
I am not aware of Fortran compilers on Linux/SuSE installation kit.
But I will check.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Maura

On Jan 21, 2008 1:38 PM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> It is unlikely that f2c will work on a 64-bit platform.  So you will have
> to specify it manually (via the script src/scripts/f77_f2c perhaps?).
>
> You would be much better off installing your OS's Fortran compiler.
>

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Maura E Monville wrote:
>
> > Last Friday my computer  monitor was messed up by on-line patches update.
> > I had to reinstall everything from the o.s. and all applications on top of
> > it.
> >
> > I have downloaded R source from the official site.
> > I have uncompressed the archive and ran the configure as root in
> > /usr/local/bin.
> > The configuration procedure dies writing:
> >
> > *configure: error: Neither an F77 compiler nor f2c found
> > *
> > but actually f2c is installed:
> >
> > linux-Ciccia:/usr/local/bin/R-2.6.1 # which f2c
> > /usr/bin/f2c
> >
> > I am running Linux/SuSE 10.3
> > Does anyone know how to get around this problem ?
> >
> > Thank you so much.
> > ---
> > Maura E.M
> >
> >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> PLEASE, we have repeatedly asked you not to send HTML, in the posting
> guide mentioned at the foot of every message.  Could you please comply?

> --

Maura E.M